Forgetting about New Year's Resolutions and other New Year thoughts


I feel that this last week I've seen so many posts on social media about what goals people are setting as New Year's resolutions, and what they want to do to change their lives for the better. Two things crossed my mind when I scrolled through these posts. Number one, why does it take a new year for people to make goals? I guess I understand new beginnings and starting over, but if there is something that you want to change in your life, why do we have to wait for a new year or a new month? Why can't we just make the change daily? I'm sure there are some people who do try to set new goals throughout the year, I just wish it was more of a thing. We don't need to wait to change our habits, we just need the motivation and grit to make the changes daily, weekly or monthly.

My second thought was, "wow I have been so preoccupied about having a baby that I haven't even thought of any goals or new years resolutions that I want to make." (really in my mind the time track went as follows: Christmas, New Years, Baby) and currently I am just waiting for baby, so my question is, can having a baby for the first time count as my new year's goal?  I say Absolutely. However after reflecting on this first week of January, I have come up with a couple of things that I want to be better at, but that doesn't mean those are the only changes I am going to make this year, I am going to try to think of new goals monthly to become a better person (but maybe not starting till March, after the baby transition).

As I'm writing this, I am thinking about how often I have even kept my New Year's resolutions. I think my best resolution one year was that I vowed to floss my teeth every night. Simple but life-changing. I actually did really well with that goal and was a dedicated flosser up until I ran out of floss, and then didn't go to the store to buy some for a couple of days, which made me lose the habit. I tried picking it back up, but I wasn't as dedicated as I was at the beginning of the year. Anyways moral of the story is when you make resolutions make sure you have the resources to complete for the WHOLE year.  #advicefromkacy

Alright, the last random thought in this post is a reflection of my 2018 year. It was a year of change for Brennan and I. He graduated from BYU, I quit my job as a rec therapist in Utah and we moved to California for a "real adult job" then found out we were pregnant in May. We have had quite the year learning to be "real" adults (which we are still trying to figure out), and learning what pregnancy is like for us (which means learning the true meaning of morning sickness, understanding hormone fluctuations, and getting enough blood tests to feed a vampire). We've learned how to make couple and family friends, and learned how to rely on each other even more. It's been an adventure and maybe just a little I feel that I've grown up. I made a video reviewing our year, so if you want to watch our fun memories and adventures go ahead! I love reflecting on the year and seeing how far we've come since last January.

Here is our 2018 year in review video:



Here is the link if the video doesn't work: https://youtu.be/ZA3yUiLbQas

Cheers to the updcoming adventures of 2019!!! #krennan2019

Comments

  1. love the 2018 video. congrats on the soon to arrive baby. you are amazing and will continue to be amazing and awesome as a mother. i will keep my eye out for the next blog. true about goal setting... there is no rule saying you can only set goals at the start of the new year. we are to set goals through out the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I'm a little nervous but I know it's all going to be great!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sand,Strawberries and SUP's

when breakfast becomes fish food