Couldn't Get to Monterey so went back to Santa Fe

Well actually we could get to Monterey it's just that that song was in my head all day while we were in Monterey. We had a super fun Saturday in Monterey and surrounding area and a relaxing Sunday. We needed it because our week was packed full of work. I finally started my summer camp job and Brennan is kept busy with excel at work.

The camp I work at is called Camp Galileo, basically, it's a camp where kids make art projects, science projects and play outside. They also get to do face painting and make lanyards (and when I say lanyard I mean those boondoggle things). They also sing songs and make up cheers for their group. It's the best of camp without having to stay in cabins and not shower. The camp is located about five miles from where we live so I get to ride my bike. It's a nice ride, not too hilly. The only problem is that I show up to work already covered in sweat and then I spend the next eight hours outside sweating and being hot. Then I hop back on my bike during the hottest part of the day and ride uphill back home. That's when I arrive home in a ball of sweat and feel disgusting. I've taken early showers every day this week.

My job is the "outdoors instructor" I instruct kids outdoors. I teach them games and tell them to play them. Then I let them have free time. During free time I am supposed to help kids make lanyards and do face paint with them. I am no artist, so I encourage kids to want simple things like rainbows and hearts. I have painted a couple of butterflies and snakes but that was pushing it. One kid asked me to draw Charmander breathing fire...I told him that wasn't going to happen so he settled for a sonic bracelet (which apparently is a diamond with a line around it making it look like a bracelet). That's the jest of my job. It's not bad, it's just really hot and sometimes the kids are hard to deal with especially when they don't want to be at camp #pushyparents

On Friday we had a fun little night out. We went to a classical music concert and had a great time listening to a beautiful piano/violin/cello trio. One of the composers they played was Jean HurĂ© (I decided it was pronounced hurray :)  Also they played a super awesome piano duet. The music was great, we just enjoy classical music too much!

Saturday we ventured out to Monterey more specifically the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It was legit. Super fun to walk through the different exhibits, and see all the animals! Some of our favorite exhibits were the Open Sea tank, which had a hammerhead shark and sea turtles in it and a huge school of fish that we just stared at for awhile. We also loved the jellyfish and tentacle room. Brennan really liked the cuttlefish. I'm still not quite sure why.  And don't worry we also saw the seahorses! No aquarium is complete without seahorses.









After the aquarium, we made a spontaneous decision to drive the 17-mile road loop. Did I know this existed before Saturday? No. But Brennan was obsessed with it and was so excited to go see the high-class golf courses. The road was perfect for us. On the left side, Brennan could look out his window and stare at the golf courses, and on the other side I just stared at the ocean, the white caps were so huge and so fun to see! We also got to stop and see the Lone Cypress Tree. I love that tree. I think that it's awesome that it has been able to grow in such a rocky area. People have tried to plant other trees by it, but the seeds won't grow because of how rocky the coastline is. There are just so many life and religious connections.

We also stopped at Pebble Beach. Which I also didn't know existed until Saturday. But apparently, it's a nice golf course it's like (Brennan quote) " as sacred as the Salt Lake Temple for golfers" So yeah that put it in perspective for me. Brennan was like a little child on Christmas morning. He loved walking in the lodge and the shop. I told him we should take a picture in front of the practice putting green and he was heavily against it, saying that you just don't do that kind of thing on professional golf courses. I made him do it anyway. Pictures or it didn't happen.

Sunday was blazing hot. I have decided that I am allergic to heat. I get sick in degrees above 85. It's just zero fun. So we spent the day in the basement (there's no AC in this house). This whole week it's supposed to be hot but by next week it will cool down. hallelujah


Comments

  1. I am totally with Brennan on the cuttlefish. They are the COOLEST. They are extremely intelligent, I mean how do you explain being able to camouflage particular patterns? super rad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forgetting about New Year's Resolutions and other New Year thoughts

Sand,Strawberries and SUP's

when breakfast becomes fish food