"This is the Army Mr. Jones..."

no privy rooms or telephones, you had your breakfast in bed before, but you won't have it their anymore." (Just in case you don't know this song)   There is too much truth to this song in my life right now.  Ok so I'm not really part of the army, but I am so involved in army life that sometimes I like to pretend.  However it's true, that I don't have a bathroom where I am staying, I have to share with other people, and I have almost no cell reception let alone wifi where I live, so basically the song tells the truth. Though there are are a few adjustments to make I love where I am staying and I love learning all about the army.

The amount of information I have learned about the army is unquenchable.  I'm not quite sure where to start.  Maybe how they have acronyms for every single thing in the world.  Such as DONSA (Day Of No Scheduled Activities aka a holiday, so why we can't just call it a holiday is beyond me).  Also the army has days called "mandatory fun days" for their platoons/units/divisions (I'm not really sure which one). But think about it, Mandatory Fun Days, that sounds like an oxymoron.  But the soldiers get up early and play sport games and such all day long.  There was a baseball tournament going on in the field right next to where I work.  However when I am watching the soldiers play baseball it's kind of like watching vampires on Twilight play baseball.  They are so strong and can hit the ball so hard, it's insane.  

Watching the soldiers do PT in the morning is kind of fun.  One time I thought I was going running late enough that I wouldn't run into them, but I wasn't so lucky, I ended up doing my morning run while soldiers ran past me, it was embarrassing.  Sometimes the soldiers remind me of the Dauntless people in Divergent. They seem to have no fears and they have tattoos all over their bodies.  It's like when you see them you are in awe. Also instead of jumping out of trains like Dauntless they jump out of helicopters.  Fort Campbell is a helicopter base so there are lots of helicopters. Obviously. One time I saw three helicopters flying with a string of people hanging out of them.  blew my mind.

Another thing that comes from living right next to an army base is the constant sound of explosions and gun shots while soldiers train.  It reminds me of the end part of the "Purple Testament" Twilight Zone Episode.  Watch this snippet to refresh your mindThunder?  The funny thing is, sometimes I really do hear thunder and it is so loud that I think it might an explosion.  I just can't seem to keep them straight.

So one highlight of my job is that I get to do fun activities with these dauntless army men.  One such activity was snorkeling with the special forces unit.  The special forces unit is composed of many strong army men that do....well special things.  So as we were scuba diving we had to walk with our tank down to the water and as I lifted mine I gave a cry of pain and thought, "man this is so heavy," I turned to Mr. Special Forces Army Men and he smiles and says "this is a normal load of us."   Just another reminder that I have no muscles.  Well here's a picture to prove the story.  Me and a bunch of good looking special forces men :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgetting about New Year's Resolutions and other New Year thoughts

Sand,Strawberries and SUP's

when breakfast becomes fish food